August 10, 2012

Mental Notes

Not that I'm anywhere even close to planning a wedding, this post came out of a few conversations with friends and family that I've had in the last few months. As many of friends tie the knot with the wonderful men that they've met, I find myself comparing their wedding plans with my own set of expectations. 


I picture that if I ever have a wedding, the ceremony will be ultra-simple. No flowers, no bridesmaids, or ring bearers or special little favors that people take home and promptly forget about. I'd wear a beautiful dress, of course, but as long as we're talking about non-traditional, why not make it a gorgeous evening gown that I could wear again? 
I would, however, spend all the money on the most beautiful feast that anybody ever beheld and would fill their tummies and souls, and people would dance and be merry with gladness. My imaginary wedding would contain lots of love, laughter and good food, without any of the unnecessary frills. The wedding would be about friends and families celebrating the couple and celebrating life. 
The point, other women say, of the wedding is to make the beautiful bride the center of attention and have all eyes on her, because she is the groom's prize, after all. They say that the flowers and the big white ethereal dress are what people come to see at weddings. While a wedding is, yes, about people celebrating a couple, it's also an excuse to be lavish, to treat a girl like a princess on the biggest day of her life. 
So, delicious banquet for the stomach or a feast for the eyes? Which of these scenarios fits your ideal, or is yours a mix of both? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave me a message!